Probate & Estate Administration
In addition to estate planning considerations, probate and estate administration matters can also require skillful attention. The Costello Law Group can provide you with an experienced Baltimore area attorney, with the expertise and knowledge to guide you through the probate process in a cost-effective and timely manner.
When an individual dies with a will or without any estate plan or with a will, his or her estate must be settled through a court proceeding called probate. Probate is the court-administered process of distributing property upon death according to the terms of a will.
The probate administration of a deceased’s estate includes:
- Identifying the estate assets;
- Paying any debts owed by the decedent at the time of death;
- Paying any taxes that may be owed as a result of the death;
- Pursing any claims against third parties that are owed to the estate;
- Determining the identity of the decedent’s heirs if he or she died without leaving a will and/or;
- Distributing the remaining assets to the decedent’s heirs or beneficiaries under a will.
Clients throughout Maryland and Washington, DC, look to the Costello Law Group to assist them in planning how their assets, or those of their loved ones, are dispensed. Our lawyers have experience addressing a broad range of issues that can arise during the estate administration and distribution of assets, including:
- Tax-related issues
- Claims against the deceased
- Re-titling of property
- Payments to creditors
- Potential areas of dispute
Probate and estate administration processes are governed by a series of laws and rules that can be difficult to understand and follow.
At the Costello Law Group, we can manage probate for any estate, regardless of whether we were the party that drafted the estate planning documents. We understand the emotional toll that probate administration can take on a family or decedents and are committed to making the process as comfortable as possible for all parties involved. Assistance from the knowledgeable and compassionate attorneys at the Costello Law Group can help smooth out the process so that the wishes expressed in a will or trust are carried out as proficiently as possible.